AFW ELITE to IRELAND: Traveler Information & Specifics
AFW ELITE HS Select Ireland ’19 Tour Inclusions (March 30 – April 7, 2019)
- Group Round Trip Airfare from US (NY, Chicago, LA) to Dublin or “Meet in Dublin Land Only Travel Option”
- All Overnight Accommodations after departure and until return flight
- All Meals except four ‘your choice’ lunches
- All Transportation Between Tour Destinations
- Multiple, Daily Guided Sight-Seeing Tours
- Full-time Irish Tour Leader
- USA-AFW ELITE Coaching & Chaperone Staff
- Tour Travel Gear for ELITE Players (Shirts, Jacket, Workout Apparel)
- Game Uniforms & Commemorative Game Jersey Keepsake
- Instruction and Mentoring from Outstanding, Highly-Successful Coaches
- Organized USA-AFW ELITE Daily Team Practices
- American Football Game versus Irish National U20 Team!
- Student Travel-Medical Insurance
- Family Members Welcomed – Additional Touring Options
Student-Athlete Selection Criteria for Trip Participation
- Must be a senior or junior for your high school team
- Juniors should secure future HS eligibility clearance from HS head coach
- Must not have been subject to formal school or team discipline while in HS
- To enhance your chances have your HS head football coach or coordinator fill out the recommendation form (download coach recommendation form) or write a short letter verifying the criteria and comment on your football ability and character to be part of a trip of this nature. (You may register for the tour before turning in your recommendation form.)
Student-Athlete Tour Participation – Registration Procedure & Payment Schedule
- Determine if you meet the selection criteria outlined above
- If so download, print and fill-out the Student-Athlete Registration Form returning it immediately with a personal or certified check made out to American Football Worldwide or credit card information for the deposit of $350. All deposited funds applied to costs of the tour. (You can register before securing the registration form from your coach and a passport number is not needed to register.)
- Register by Phone. Call AFW at 309-781-7274. Registrants must be prepared to supply personal information (see registration form) and deposit with a credit or debit card.
- Roster positions for AFW ELITE will be established (and closed) by a first-to-deposit basis.
- By November 7, 2018 make a second installment payment or fund-raise an additional $750. (See fund-raising opportunities listed below –AFW ELITE Fundraising Ideas).
- By December 20, 2018 make an installment payment or fund raise an additional $900 to have $1900 on account.
- Payment in full is due February 9, 2019 – See Tour Pricing below.
Athlete/Player Registration Form – Player Registration Form-IR’19
Family Member/Fan Tour Participation – Registration Procedure & Payment Schedule
- Fill out the Family Member Registration Form and return with deposit of $350 (see cancellation policies and penalties below). All deposited funds are applied to costs of the tour.
- Or, Register by Phone. Call AFW at 309-781-7274. Registrants must be prepared to supply personal information (see registration form) and deposit with a credit or debit card.
- Meet the payment deadlines listed above for student-athletes.
- Note that after the first family member, additional traveling family members receive receive a $50 to $100 deduction from the tour price.
- Payment in full is due February 9, 2019. If single accommodation is chosen a supplemental payment is due. See Tour Pricing below.
- Family Member tour participants are advised to investigate and strongly consider purchasing travel insurance.
Family member participation is encouraged. During practices for players, non-athletes have other touring option and/or free time in Ireland. Please note that this tour requires walking reasonable distances. You should be in good health, able to climb stairs and walk on uneven ground.
Family/Fan Registration Form – Family/Fan Registration Form
Student-Athletes Traveling Alone – Must Fly With Main AFW Tour Groups out of New York, Chicago, or LA*
Any student-athlete traveling without parents must fly with the team and coaches departing out of New York, Chicago or LA. On past tours, we have had an appreciable group meet in Chicago with many coming in the day before to enjoy an overnight social taking place before departure to Europe the following day. Additional accommodation fees may apply.
Land Only Travel Option – Traveling with at least one Parent? Meet us in Dublin!
As an expanded option, players can meet us in Dublin if at least one parent is accompanying him on the trip and hopefully joining the tour. It is the travelers responsibility to meet the tour group at the airport in Dublin early on Sunday morning, March 31, 2019.
To secure a roster on the limited depth chart, you are advised to register for the tour immediately or as soon as possible. Continue to meet payment requirements. However, do not book your airfare to Ireland until after you consult with AFW/Jim Barnes at 309-781-7274.
- To be on the roster, fill out the Respective Land Only Registration Form and return with deposit of $350 ($150 non-refundable if traveler cancels). All deposits applied to costs of the tour, or
- Register by phone. Call AFW at 309-781-7274 weekdays between 9am and 2pm (CST). Registrants must be prepared with personal information and a credit/debit card for deposit.
- By November 1, 2018 make a second installment payment of $600 or fund-raise to a deposited total of $950 (See fund-raising opportunities listed below).
- Payment in full ($2595 cash/$2695 credit for team members, $2695 Cash/2795 credit for family members) is due February 9, 2019. (If single supplement is chosen an additional payment is due. See Tour Pricing below.)
- Medical travel insurance is provided for team members. Family member tour participants are advised to investigate and strongly consider purchasing travel insurance.
Athlete/Player Registration Form (Circle “Land Only”) – Player Registration Form – IR’19
Family/Fan Registration Form (Check “Land Only” Option) – Family/Fan Registration Form
Tour Pricing & Clarifications
Tour pricing is for double occupancy and based on airfare, land costs and rate of exchange. The prices are valid until reserved spacing is booked. Afterwards we will attempt to book additional travelers at best rates at that time. Current pricing will be communicated before booking.
Cash/Currency Pricing – Reduced from 2018!
- New York: Team Member – $3495; Family Member – $3585
- Chicago: Team Member – $3595; Family Member – $3685
- Los Angeles: Team Member – $3785; Family Member – $3875
- Land Only – Meet in Dublin: Team Member – $2665; Family – $2755
Pricing in cash based. For all electronic credit/debit card transactions (after initial deposit) .033 will be added to the final tour cost.
Pricing includes taxes and fees and are subject to change if taxes and fuel surcharges are raised by more than 5%. (This has never happened with one of our AFW tours.)
For baggage requirements and baggage fee information go to the airlines website when your reservation is confirmed.
Student-athlete tour spots are also limited and determined on a first-deposit basis. Prices are based on 40 paid travelers. If the minimum is not met by December 20, 2018 all parties will be notified of any price increases and the tour can become subject to cancellation. If cancelled for this reason all amounts deposited will be refunded. We have never had to cancel an AFW tour.
Fundraising Opportunities for AFW ELITE Team Members
Once you deposit for this tour, download and print the ‘AFW Ireland Competition Tour Sponsorship Form’. Address and distribute this form immediately to those who would possibly support you or direct them to the SPONSOR link^ at the AFW website. Ask relatives, local businesses, high school boosters, etc. to support your ambition and dream to represent the USA in international competition and you can reduce your tour costs significantly. For additional fund-raising ideas click on this link – AFW ELITE Fundraising Ideas – and see the Fundraising link.
In addition to the fund-raising efforts of participating student-athletes, the AFW Education Foundation will continue efforts to raise funds and seek sponsors to help reduce the cost of the tour for our student-athletes. Tour participants will be notified of cost reductions due to the contributions of others.
If you and your family face significant financial hardship but would like to have this tremendous growth opportunity a part of your education and life experiences, contact AFW for information as to qualifying to do your fund-raising through the AFW Education Foundation which is an approved 501(c)(3) entity. You would need to promptly file a financial hardship application. If approved, your fund-raising efforts would be eligible as a charitable contribution that is tax-deductible to the donor.
Send in your registration form and deposit – then distribute your sponsorship and or donation request letters – asap
Additional Preparation & Potential Expenses
- Passports – If you do not have one please secure this document immediately. Every traveler must be in possession of the appropriate documentation a couple months prior to departure.
- 4 ‘Free-time’ Lunches, Souvenirs & Tips – For student-athletes, all but three lunches are covered. During touring on a couple of our afternoons free time is allowed for you to dine and sample local fare that may be of interest to you. In addition, you need to budget for souvenirs you wish to purchase. Lastly, tipping for services including bus transportation and tour guides is customary.
- Additional Baggage: after trip confirmation you will be informed of a typical AFW travel ‘packing list’ and how to bring all that you need with one checked bag and allowable carry-on items. You should be able to comfortably travel without any additional baggage charges. Any extra charges for baggage will be at the traveler’s expense. Please refer to the airline (TBD) website and their international baggage policies.
Football Equipment/Supplies, Position and Medical Coverage
- We will supply practice shorts, dry-fit shirt, practice jersey, game socks, game pants and game jersey. Please see your high school coach to secure hard gear (helmet, shoulder pads, hip pads, leg pads) for the tour. You will also need a travel bag that can hold a helmet and shoulder pads. We will ask you to bring an empty water bottle, practice socks, cleats and a mouthpiece.
- We will do all that we can to have you play a position with which you are familiar. At the same time, we are not certain of the make-up of our squad and we are likely to ask some players to play a similar, but different position. You will likely play in at least two phases of the game and possibly in all three phases. Wherever you are assigned to play you will perform like a football player trained in the USA!
- A certified athletic trainer will be provided and attend all practices and the game. In addition, the game will be staffed with a Ireland licensed physician and appropriate medical crews.
- Student-Athletes: Included in the tour price for student-athletes is your insurance. Student-athlete travelers have some coverage for limited medical, lost baggage, and travel inconvenience. Total trip refunds are available under this policy for defined, specific cancellation circumstances. Refer to policy information provided to you or under Traveler Information on the website.
- Adult, Family and Coaches: Insurance cost is based on age and is NOT a part of your tour price. It is highly recommended that you research and based on your individual circumstances consider purchasing travel insurance possibilities with your insurance agent or on-line.
A game of this nature and the tour does not affect your NCAA eligibility. Hundreds of young men have played college football after participating in an international athletic and football experience.
Cancellation Policy & Penalties*
- After registration deposit, $150 is non-refundable. After October 15, 2018 the full $350 deposit is non-refundable.
- Beginning December 1, 2018; airline and other reservations are confirmed soon afterwards and all amounts deposited are non-refundable. A party who cancels can attempt to substitute a traveler for a ‘replacement fee’ and if one is secured part of the deposited funds will be returned.
- To qualify for a ‘refundable’ cancellation, a written/e-mail request must be made to Jim Barnes by November 30, 2018 in accordance with the terms and dates above.
* If the trip does not occur because of insufficient enrollment (see above), ALL funds will be refunded to payees and donors.
For Additional Questions
- See additional links on website including FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS. Feel free to download information.
- Contact Jim Barnes, American Football Worldwide – email@example.com ; 309-781-7274